Yes … it’s almost Easter … and it’s quite early this year.
Because Easter is calculated as “the first Sunday after the first full moon following the spring equinox”, it can occur anywhere within a period of 35 days! In recent times the earliest was the weekend of the 22nd – 24th of March whilst the latest was the 23rd to the 25th of April.
So this year, falling on the weekend of the 31st of March to the 2nd April, Easter is definitely relatively early.
Although we can be certain of the quality of the facilities at South Meadows we can’t be so sure about what the weather has in store. Whilst we’re fully booked for the Saturday and Sunday nights, we do have some availability later in the week … and there’s plenty going on around and about this year.
Small Axe Woodcraft
- On Saturday 31st March and on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th April, explore traditional woodworking techniques with Jon Purkins, have a go yourself or buy a piece of Jon’s stunning work. He’ll be demonstrating the craft and inviting the public to try some the techniques and tools used.
Beastly Egg Hunt
- To protect her golden eggs the Bamburgh Beast has hidden them round the castle, can you her help her find them. (Included in admission)
- Create your own ‘Faberge’ egg or create a beautiful decorated egg to take home. (Included in admission)
Easter Adventure Quest
- On the 30th March through to 2nd April
- Calling all valiant adventurers this Easter weekend!
- Join us on the hunt for legendary dragon eggs at Warkworth Castle. Set off with an intrepid character from the past to crack the clues and claim your chocolate reward.
- Once you’re done, rest your legs inside the tearooms and enjoy a well-earned lunch.
Ford & Etal
Pop up Market with St Abbs Traders
- 2nd April
- Situated inside Etal Village Hall, these friendly and welcoming markets are a great place to shop for a taste of the local area, a gift for a friend or simply to treat
- Now ‘regulars’ in the Ford & Etal calendar, the St Abbs market traders are returning to Etal this season. The first market takes place on Easter Monday. A range of locally produced foods and crafts along with a selection of clothing, accessories and gifts is on sale.
Ellingham Hall Easter Fair
- 2nd April
- A fabulous family day, full of fun and with lots for everyone to do. Celebrate the start of spring with us and meet the Easter Bunny. Free entry and parking.
Crafts with the Company of Artisans
- 30th March through to the 3rd April
- Enter the bustling marketplace of Artisans Courtyard and take the opportunity to get hands-on with some of the best artisans in the country! In the Middle Ages, skilled artisans travelled the country working in manor houses, castles and churches.
Pascal Rogé (piano)
- 2nd April
- Pascal Rogé exemplifies the finest in French pianism. Born in Paris, he was a student of the Paris Conservatory and was also mentored by Julius Katchen and the great Nadia Boulanger.
- He will be playing the following pieces …
- Satie – Gymnopadie no 1, Gnossienne no 3 & Croquis et agaceries;
- Ravel – Sonatine Poulenc – Les soirees de Nazelles
- Satie – Embryons Désséchés
- Debussy – Preludes book 1
That’s a taster of what’s on around and about … alternatively there are the beaches and the hills where you can have an invigorating walk and enjoy the magnificent local scenery.
For later in the year, the take up of bookings is quite “brisk”. So if you’re just staying at home this Easter, why not get the calendar out and take the opportunity to plan some time at South Meadows and make a booking … or two!